Individual Health Plans
Open Enrollment for 2018 Coverage
Ended January 31st, 2018
The Next Open Enrollment Period is
November 1, 2018 – January 31, 2019, for 2019 Coverage
Special enrollment is available all year with a qualifying life event
Medi-Cal enrollment is available year-round.
Getting Covered Outside of the Open-Enrollment Period
Outside of the open enrollment period, consumers can enroll in a Covered California health insurance plan only if they have experienced a “qualifying life event”. (Note: Consumers can enroll in Medi-Cal at any time.)
Below is a list of common types of “qualifying life events” for special enrollment that apply year-round.
- Getting married or entering into a domestic partnership.
- Having a child or adopting a child, receiving a child into foster care, or placing a child in adoption or in a foster home.
- Change in place of residency, which allows a consumer to gain access to new Covered California health insurance plans. This includes moving to California from another state. This also applies to individuals who are released from jail or prison.
- Losing health coverage. For example, consumers are no longer eligible for Medi-Cal, or they lose health coverage through their job.
- Income changes so much that a consumer becomes newly eligible or ineligible for help paying for their insurance. For example, if a consumer is already getting help paying for their insurance premium, and their income goes down, they may be able to get extra help.
- Becoming citizens, national or lawfully present individuals. This event applies only to people who were not previously citizens, nationals or lawfully present.
- The consumer’s enrollment was wrong, due to the misconduct or misrepresentation of their health insurance company, Covered California or a non-Covered California entity (such as a Certified Enrollment Counselor).
- Being a member of a federally recognized American Indian or Alaska Native tribe. A consumer in this category may enroll in health insurance or change health insurance plan once a month even if the open enrollment period is over.
- Covered California can also determine, on a case-by-case basis, that the consumer experienced an exceptional circumstance, which could allow for a special enrollment period.
These are just some of the more common qualifying life events. Consumers can click here to read more about special enrollment and qualifying life events. To apply for coverage through special enrollment, Contact me today.
I am an independent health insurance agent authorized to work on your behalf with the top insurance companies in California. I represent you and your interests not those of the insurance companies. I specialize in assisting people and businesses select the plan that best meets their health care needs and budget. Contact me today to answer any of your questions.
Please Contact us with any questions.
Craig Henry Fowler, Licensed Life & Health Insurance Agent. California State License # 0C18221 & Certified Public Accountant, California License #95378
Authorized Independent Agent Serving California Residents.
This website is owned and maintained by Craig Fowler, which is solely responsible for its content. This site is not maintained by or affiliated with Covered California, and Covered California bears no responsibility for its content. The e-mail addresses and telephone number that appears throughout this site belong to Craig Fowler and cannot be used to contact Covered California.